Red Bridge Press publishes books and the online journal Rivet. We are dedicated to writing that breaks free from the confines of mainstream realism, that surprises, delights, and challenges readers.
Red Bridge is a new kind of publisher. Combining an old-fashioned commitment to great writing with forward-looking technological savvy, we embrace the challenges of the new publishing landscape. Here’s what we stand for:
- Editorial Vision: Red Bridge Press publishes books that take risks for readers who want to be surprised, delighted, and challenged. We select writing of the highest quality from new and established authors. We engage authors in a rich editorial process and produce beautifully designed books in print and electronic formats.
- Mission: Red Bridge Press is committed to creating long-term value for readers and authors. Our innovative approach to publishing uses technology to reduce waste, connect with audiences, and redistribute profit equitably to authors.
Before submitting, carefully read our general guidelines and the specific guidelines for each call for submissions below.
Rivet: The Journal of Writing That Risks publishes new literary work that breaks from the confines of mainstream realism to surprise, delight, and challenge readers. We seek writing that crosses boundaries of form, content, genre, and style — either subtly or radically. If you have something that's weird and interesting and strangely powerful but don't know who would publish such a thing, it's exactly what we want to read.
- Read the journal to get a feel for what we publish. It's online and free.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished in print or electronically. Author must be the sole rights holder of the submission.
- One submission per person, per cycle. (Please wait till you’ve heard a response before sending a new submission.)
- Documents should be formatted for readability.
- Please include a brief cover letter and bio with your submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are OK as long as you notify us if the work is accepted elsewhere (you can do this right in Submittable by withdrawing the work or sending us a note).
We accept most kinds of submissions on a rolling basis year round.
We open for fiction submissions 3 times/year, typically April, July, and October. Sign up for our newsletter, and you'll be the first to know when fiction submissions are open. Guidelines: Submit one short story or up to 5 pieces of flash fiction in one document. Length of each piece should be between 15 and 15,000 words, give or take.
- Poetry: Submit up to 5 poems in one document. For more on what our poetry editors are looking for, read this interview.
- Nonfiction: Submit one essay or up to 5 short related pieces. Length guidelines are the same as those for fiction. Topic is wide open. Surprise us.
- Hybrid: Is your work hard to label? Yay! Just use the guidelines above that match most closely.
- Translations are welcome. Follow the guidelines for whichever category above matches the work, and tell us about the original work in the cover letter.
- Reviews & Interviews: We publish reviews and interviews on our blog. We're interested in articles that focus on people, books, art, movies, and music that buck the status quo and inspire experimentation.
- Visual, Multimedia, Hybrid Art: Yes. If it can be rendered in WordPress for the web (and optimized for mobile, preferably), then we're interested.
Permissions and Payment:
- Authors retain copyright over their work. Authors give Rivet the right to publish the work on the Rivet website; this right is exclusive for 6 months from the date of publication. Thereafter, the author is welcome to reprint the work elsewhere.
- Rivet pays $25 per author per issue, regardless of genre, length or number of pieces. (These rates can change from year to year as they are based on the amount of funding we receive from supporters.)
Rivet is published two times per year in the Spring and Fall.
Red Bridge Press is run by a group of dedicated volunteers, and we are looking to expand our team. Are you passionate about indie publishing and writing that challenges conventions and expectations? Are you self-motivated, organized, and responsible? If you get what we're about and want to help the organization grow, then we want to hear from you.
We are not only pushing the limits of what a literature can do, we are pushing the boundaries on who gets to say what gets published. Risky lit lovers from any race, sexual orientation, economic class, educational background, physical ability, or geographic location are encouraged to apply. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Some members of our team are based in San Francisco, but you don't have to be. We are also on the East Coast, Midwest, South, and the middle of the Pacific. We use conferencing tools (Hangouts, Skype, phone, etc.) to work together and keep in touch.
Note: There are no paid positions at Red Bridge or Rivet. We are a "high-touch" organization, on a mission to build lasting relationships between editors and authors, authors and readers, while publishing outstanding literature. Our compensation is to hone our skills as editors, writers, and publishing industry professionals. Along the way, we get to work with amazing authors, develop relationships with our peers, and help build a new model for publishing. It doesn't pay the air conditioning bill, but it's pretty damn cool nonetheless.
Currently, we are recruiting team members for Rivet Journal.
Readers - Fiction, Poetry, Nonfiction
Do you love writing that colors outside the lines? Do you want to read the latest work by writers from all over the world? Do the words "slush pile" make you all gooey inside? We'll then get your application in already. We need your eyes and mind and heart on these amazing submissions asap.
We especially need FICTION READERS. Please get in touch!
Marketing and Public Relations
Do you have great ideas for how small publishers can make a big impact? Are you a PR maven or marketing whiz or both? Are you comfortable using traditional, social media, and guerrilla techniques? Let's talk!
If you don't turn and run at the sound of "HTML" or "CSS", we could use your mad skillz with designing and publishing our two sites: rivetjournal.com and redbridgepress.com. (Seriously, I could really use your help. -Liana)
Got another idea for how you'd like to work with us?
Let us know! You may have experience in more than one of the roles above--and doubtless several other things besides. That's great! We welcome cross-disciplinary approaches, generalists, specialists, and people who don't fit neatly into boxes.
Just use this form to tell us about your superpower and why you'd make a great addition to the team!