Rivet: The Journal of Writing That Risks publishes new literary work that breaks from the confines of mainstream realism to surprise, delight, and challenge readers.
We seek writing that crosses boundaries of form, content, and style —
either subtly or radically. Send us works of fiction, poetry, and
nonfiction that are too fabulist, surrealist, or experimental for
traditional publishers. We are glad to consider work that uses genre
elements in interesting ways (e.g. an urban noir fairy tale), but we are
not looking for work that is primarily aimed at a genre audience (e.g.
high fantasy or hard science fiction). To get a feel for the range of
writing that interests us, check out the anthology Writing That Risks: New Work from Beyond the Mainstream.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished in print or
electronically. Author must be the sole rights holder of the submission.
- One submission per person, per reading cycle. (Please wait till you've heard a response before sending a new submission.)
- Simultaneous submissions are OK as long as you notify us right away if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- Documents should be formatted for readability.
- Please include a brief cover letter and bio with your submission.
- Fiction: Submit one short story or up to 5 pieces
of flash fiction in one document. Length of each piece should be between
15 and 15,000 words, give or take.
- Poetry: Submit up to 5 poems in one document. Each poem should be long enough to engage, short enough to not require its own chapbook.
- Nonfiction: Submit one essay or up to 5 short
related pieces. Length guidelines are the same as those for fiction.
Topic is wide open. Surprise us.
- Hybrid: Is your work hard to label? Yay! Just use the guidelines above that match most closely.
- Translations are welcome. Follow the guidelines for whichever category above matches the work, and tell us about the original work in the cover letter.
- Reviews & Interviews: We publish book reviews and interviews on our blog. We're interested in articles that focus on people, books, art, movies, and music that buck the status quo and inspire experimentation.
- Visual, Multimedia, Hybrid Art: Yes. If it can be rendered in WordPress for the web (and optimized for mobile, preferably), then we're interested.
Permissions and Payment:
- Authors retain copyright over their work. Authors give Rivet the right to publish the work on the Rivet website; this right is exclusive for 6 months from the date of publication. Thereafter, the author is welcome to reprint the work elsewhere.
- Rivet pays $25 per author per issue, regardless of genre, length or number of pieces. (These rates are valid for 2017 and may change.)
is published three times per year.